Recorder Home Page Databases
Adler & Co. (Sonora)
Son of Gottlob Adler (1825-1900). In 1885, Oscar Adler (1862-1922) founded a company for the manufacture of woodwind instruments. Until 18934, the firms' main office was in his father's house where the company belonging to his brother Robert Oswald Adler (1863 -1946) had also been based since 1891. In 1896 he was joined by his brother-in-law, string maker Herman Fürchtegott Jordan (1854-1908) and in 1900 their partnership was renamed "Deutsche Holzblassinstrumentenfabrik Oscar Adler & Co." After Jordan's death, Oscar Adler left the company and started a small firm named Franz O. Adler which operated until c.1932. The range of instruments produced included flutes, csakans, flageolets and reed instruments. When Martin Kehr began to make the Harlan recorders in 1926, these were added to the Oscar Adler range, modeled on instruments by Kehr/Harlan whose exterior design was largely copied. Production was directed by the co-owner of the firm Karl Friederich Jordan, who probably also sold Adler recorders under his own name. The Adler workshop also sold unsigned instruments to wholesalers who marked them with their own stamp (Thalheimer 2013: 52-53).
Oscar Adler produced recorders with plastic head-joints made of "Acolit" with an ebonite block and wooden lower joints. The firm also sold recorders with semitone keys, as well as six-holed pipes with semitone keys.
Recorder Home Page Databases (1996—2014). All rights reserved.