A comprehensive database of over 13,000 recordings feature the recorder and its music may be accessed via the side panel to the right of this article. It includes LPs, EPs, MCs and CDs.
The discography shows the recorder employed in its wide repertoire from broken consorts of the renaissance, to the concertos and sonatas of the baroque, and to the recorder concertos of the 20th and 21st centuries. In between, are examples of recorder in ethnic and popular music, in Celtic and punk music, and in new age music.
In addition to recordings that feature the recorder, a great many performances of medieval, renaissance, ethnic and popular music employ recorders as part of the ensemble. Many of the examples listed here are directed by recorder players and so might be expected to make prominent use of the instrument. Others are there simply at readers’ request. An extensive index to other early music recordings together with notes and reviews is available at the Early Music FAQ site (see below).
Where they are provided, or where it is possible to infer them, Opus and catalogue numbers of works by Corelli and Handel have been given in the Contents list for each recording that includes works by either of those composers. As time permits, works by Bach, Telemann, Vivaldi and others will be accorded similar treatment.
To add details of recordings of which you are aware please email Nicholas Lander as many of the following details as possible:
- Title (as it appears on the LP, Cassette or CD front cover)
- Performers (names, instruments played)
- Contents (ie items performed with composer abbreviation)
- Label details (name, catalogue number or code)
- Date recorded
- Date released
- Recorders used – including maker, type, pitch, and year of manufacture
- Comments, including reviews (author, reference details), contact information, web pages, etc.
- Cover image URL
- Music Minus One (UK), playingalong CDs with printed scores
- Boosey & Hawkes (UK), playalong CDs including Carl Jenkins’ Adiemus
- Courtly Music Unlimited (USA), catalogue of playalong CDs and cassettes
- Dowani, play along CDs which give you accompaniments at three different tempi
- Music Partner CDs, be the recorder soloist yourself
- Lasocki, David R.G., and Helen Neate. 1988. “The Life and Works of Robert Woodcock, 1690–1728.” American Recorder 29 (3): 92–104. Includes a discography
- Paterson, Scott, David R.G. Lasocki, and Dawn Culbertson. 1989–1994. A Discography of the Recorder . Vol. 1: Recordings Available in North America, 1989 . Vol. 2 (by Scott Paterson): New Recordings Available in North America, 1990–1994. Littleton, CO: American Recorder Society (ARS).
- Paterson, Scott. 1997. “Performing Telemann’s Recorder Sonata in D Minor.” American Recorder 38 (5): 14–18. Includes a discography
- Seviour, Madeline. 1993. A Discography of Recorder Music. Ipswitch: Society of Recorder Players (SRP).
- Sharman, Ian. n.d. “Francesco Barsanti: A Discography and Worklist.” Brio 28 (1): 29–33.
- Sluijs, Liesbeth van der, Nicholas S. Lander, and Christopher Short. 2015. “Recordings.” Recorder Home Page. http://www.recorderhomepage.net/recorded-recorders-database/.
- Toffano, Giovanni. 2000. “Il flauto dolce in compact disc: Discografia [The Recorder on CD: Discography].” In Il flauto dolce: Dallo scolaro al virtuoso [The Recorder: From Student to Virtuoso], edited by Vittorio Nicolucci, 110–14. Bologna: Ut Orpheus Edizioni.
- Toffano, Giovanni. 2000. “Le composizioni di Vivaldi per flauto dolce: Repertorio e versioni. [The Recorder Compositions of Vivaldi: Repertory and Recordings].” In Il flauto dolce: Dallo scolaro al virtuoso, edited by Vittorio Nicolucci, 70-75. Bologna: UT Orpheus Edizioni. Discusses a number of recordings.
Online Catalogues of Composers Works
- Bach (BWV) http://www.musiqueorguequebec.ca/catal/bacjs/bacjs.html
- Corelli (Opus numbers): http://www.musedata.org/encodings/corelli/
- Handel (HG, HHA & HWV): gfhandel.org
- Schütz Werke Verzeichnis (SWV)
- Telemann (TWV): http://www.musiqueorguequebec.ca/catal/telemann/telgp.html
- Vivaldi (RV): http://www.musiqueorguequebec.ca/catal/vivaldi/viva.html
This database includes records from a number of sources, amongst them:
- The former Recorded Recorders Database maintained by Nicholas Lander and Christopher Short (> 900 CDs)
- A database maintained privately by Liesbeth van der Sluijs documenting her recorder LP collection (> 1000 LPs)
- Internet sites (most of the rest), including those of retailers and on-line catalogues of public and academic libraries
- Review articles in various journals, principally those devoted to early music in general and the recorder in particular
- Submissions from visitors to this site
A regular contributor of new sightings, corrections and additional information to this database has been Sascha Mommertz (Landgraaf, Netherlands), to whom we are most grateful.
Of the many Internet resources consulted the most useful to date have been:
- Alapage – online retailer (France)
- Amazon – online retailer (International)
- The Compact Recorder, from Early Music Shop (UK)
- Early Music FAQ site – CD Directory maintained by Tod M. McComb & Pierre Roberge (USA)
- Fonoteca Nazionale Svizzera, Locarno – Swiss National Sound Archives (Switzerland)
- Fred Morgan (1940-1999) – Discography (Australia)
- IUCAT – Indiana University’s Online Library Catalogue (USA)
- Ottenheimer Library Catalogue – University of Arkansas (USA)
- Silkeborg Bibliotek – Public Library Catalogue (Denmark)
Liesbeth found many additions to her LP Collection at
- Antiquariat Hindrickx & Winderickx, Utrecht
- Concerto LP and CD Antiquariat, Amsterdam
- Flesch Record Shop (Herman Berkhout and Jonika Aalders), Amsterdam
- Antiquariat Moonbeams, Hoogbrugstraat 38, 6221 CR Maastricht
Readers are encouraged to make free use of the information presented here. However, extensive use or citation should be acknowledged in the usual way.
Cite this article and database as: Van der Sluijs, L, Lander, N.S. & Short, C. (1996–2016). Recorder Home Page: Recordings. Last accessed Saturday, April 30th, 2016. http://www.recorderhomepage.net/recorded-recorders-database/